Saturday, December 10, 2016

The Jungle Book (2016)


RATING: C

Remakes. Many people don't have much use for them. Thus, when one actually is successful, sometimes we're unsure of whether to be pleasantly surprised or just disgusted. I certainly did not go into this movie with high expectations at all. So, I came away a little pleasantly surprised... but also slightly disgusted. Not necessarily at the movie and its content, but more at the movie's existence and the fact that its success opens the door for even more Disney remakes.

Now, I've watched the original Jungle Book 1967 cartoon, but I never read the actual book. (Isn't there a bit of irony in calling a movie a Jungle "Book?") The plot runs more or less the same as the original, only with a bit more backstory (which actually helps), and certain characters getting more screen time (the wolves) while other characters get much less screen time (Kaa) or are just cut completely (the vultures).

So of course, we also have the big change from animation to the massive CGI jungle. Interestingly enough, basically everything in this movie but the kid himself (who's sadly a mediocre child actor anyway) *is* CGI. The CGI varies from actually pretty stunning regarding the jungle itself to oddly sloppy with Bagheera, the panther.

Obviously one of the main questions is how it compares to the original. And that is difficult for me to say, actually, owing to the fact that it's been years and years since I watched the original cartoon, and I don't remember certain parts that well. But some things that were undoubtedly an improvement included the added backstory; namely, where Mowgli came from and a little more exposition as to why Shere Khan wants to kill him so badly. Also, it was good to see the number of musicals cut down. Only two songs were left in this one. Obviously, you have to keep "Bear Necessities," and I won't make any complaints there, even if this rendition feels more subdued. But I don't understand why they had to keep "I Wanna Be Like You," one I don't recall even liking when I was younger in the original, and I certainly didn't care for this one either.

But one thing that they couldn't have done back then but was a pretty great timely update was the action sequences, which are much more fulfilling. And there's also just about every scene with the menacing Shere Khan (voiced masterfully by Idris Elba) in it in general. In this version, he actually kills a side character and later creepily threatens another while telling its children a story. And we get to watch him go toe-to-toe with Bagheera, Baloo and the wolves much more satisfyingly.

One thing that was definitely a step down was Baloo in general. Despite Bill Murray, this version is a bit more of a jerk at times (Bagheera calls him a con artist, and he's not entirely wrong) and just less of a feel-good character. Also, this version of Kaa (voiced by Scarlett Johansson) ends up being a lot less comical  and a lot more creepy and weird... and not in a good way.

As you can see, there are some things that are actually pretty doggone well and other things that aren't. And there are some things that are just kind of there; I found it pretty difficult to stay engaged during the monkey scene, for example. And I wasn't sure how to feel about the elephants' new role in this version.

It's honestly rather difficult to forget throughout the film that it's a remake, and not really a necessary one either (I find it hard to call any of these Disney remakes "necessary," regardless of how I felt about the original). With that hanging over it's head, it does take a little bit away from the movie itself. Which is unfortunate, because there's actually a pretty decent film in there. If you never saw the original, you'll probably love this movie. And you might enjoy it regardless. And that's fine. I was entertained enough by it myself.

Just remember... in part because this movie was successful, we're going to get live-action versions of movies like The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast (next March, too). And basically every other Disney cartoon ever, too. (Mulan's currently on the release schedule for 2018.) But I genuinely wonder how all the 90's and 2000's kids feel about the inevitable remake of The Lion King. I know if it held the same place in my heart as it did for many other people, I would be pretty enraged. Just keep that in mind while you're enjoying this particular remake.

No comments:

Post a Comment